Just a super quick blog whilst at IBM Armonk, New York on the MLDP face to face event. I have just finished, what was without doubt, THE best training I HAVE ever received – not just in my four years at IBM, but in my entire marketing career and even school!
It was focussed on Personal Presence when presenting, and was led by a team of too Brad Antle ( @bradolino) and Loriann (opps I missed her surname, I will update this as soon as I find it!). I am now motivated to present more, and confident that I now have the tools to do a great job on ALL my presentations!
We covered so many great topics, and we were filmed individually THREE times during the day as we learnt more techniques.
The main points were:
- Use “Eye-Lock” technique – make sure you have eye contact on one person per sentence, pause, then move to next person – Brad used the analogy of ever person gets a small cup of tea, but don’t overflow one persons cup just because they have a friendly face!
- Make sure your voice is varied – in tone, temp, variation etc
- Use stories, metaphors, comparisons/contrasts and lists! (ideally of three)
- Use gestures appropriately – move from the shoulder, not small hand gestures within a pretend box in front of you
- Have a stance like an oak tree – don’t dance around or tilt!
- Leverage the pause!!! This will help reduce your nerves, pauses are our friends, not foes
Here is one of my films, where I was trying to cover a few of the above points -see if you can spot them.
Remember, you can keep up to date with how I am getting on by following me on Twitter @RSwindell.
In other news…
I spent an amazing weekend sightseeing in NYC, I visited The Empire State, Top of Rock, Central Park, The Natural History Museum, Brooklyn Bridge, Wall Street and The World Trade Centre memorial site. Oh and of course, no trip to New York would be complete without a trip to Bloomingdales!! Here’s the bakery in Bloomies!